How much do you know about the field in Dentistry? Let's see how well you do with our little dental quiz. Answer the following 6 difficult questions below to see what your Dental Health score is?
1. Should everyone be using a “tartar control” toothpaste?
A. False. Studies find that using “tartar control” toothpaste causes many peoples teeth to become sensitive to cold (particularly if they have gum recession). The teeth sensitivity stopped within a few weeks after discontinued use of the “tartar control” toothpaste with very little change in the amount of tartar buildup.
2. True or False, Raisins are a good snack and do not promote tooth decay?
A. False. Raisins are very high in sugar and their stickiness causes the sugar to stay on the teeth for long periods of time. You should brush your teeth thoroughly after eating raisins.
3. Diet sodas can cause tooth decay.
A. True. You may think that because diet sodas don’t contain sugar, that they are safe for your teeth as they are for your waistline. Many diet sodas contain phosphoric acid which is a known cause of tooth decay.
4. In terms of cavity prevention, drinking tap water is usually better than drinking bottled water.
A True. Most tap water now contains added fluoride. Most bottled water does not contain fluoride.
5. Some toothpaste’s can whiten your teeth.
A. False. No toothpaste available contains any bleaching ingredient which can “whiten” your teeth.
6. If you want to enjoy a sugary treat, when is the most “tooth-friendly” time to eat it?
A. It is better to eat sugary foods along with a meal to minimize the risk of tooth decay. Snacking on sugary treats between meals is the worst for teeth. However, a high sugar diet is never great for teeth so you should try to cut down your intake of sugary foods.
How’d it go? Probably pretty much as you suspected, maybe a surprise or two, especially with the tooth whitening toothpaste. If you’ve tried it and almost certainly didn’t get the results you expected.