Earth day is the largest, most widely commemorated international event, as it gives us a chance to celebrate what an amazing planet we live on. People all over the world celebrate the holiday and make efforts to protect our planet and its environment.
Earth Day falls on April 22 each year and was established to increase awareness and appreciation of the Earth’s natural environment. Events are held worldwide that promote decreased pollution and waste in order to lead to a cleaner, safer and “greener” environment for us to live in.
Scientists say it’s time we cleaned up our act. What better time to make a positive change than on Earth Day? We wanted to share with you 5 ways to save our planet while saving your smile!
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth. Did you know that if you leave the water running while brushing your teeth for two minutes you’re wasting approximately 5 gallons of water? If you’re brushing twice a day - as recommended by your dentist – you’re wasting 3,360 gallons over one year! Try to only use the water you need to brush, then shut off the tap while brushing.
- Recycle your oral hygiene packaging and containers. One of the easiest ways to participate in Earth Day is by simply reducing the amount of refuse that ends up in landfills. By keeping recyclable items out of landfills, we reduce the need for new disposal space and the amount of energy needed for burning refuse. Recycling products also helps conserve the resources that are used in making new products.
- Repurpose your toothbrush when it’s worn out. According to the American Dental Association, you should replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed and after you are sick. When it’s time to replace your worn out toothbrush, consider putting it to work in other ways, such as when doing your household chores.
- Unplug your electric toothbrush after it’s fully charged. After the battery has fully recharged, unplug the power source from the wall to save energy.
- Visit a green dentist! Our office is dedicated to helping the environment by going paperless and we encourage you to do the same!
Conserving water, recycling, reusing, and limiting the amount of energy we use are simple ways to respect our planet and maintain a healthy smile at the same time.