Orthodontics specializes in treating patients with improper positioning of teeth when the mouth is closed, which results in an irregular bite. According to orthodontist Columbia SC Dr. Gregory Wych, orthodontics also involves treating and controlling aspects of facial growth and the shape and development of the jaw.
It can also include cosmetic dentistry, to improve the patient’s appearance.
An orthodontist uses a range of medical dental devices, including headgears, plates, braces, etc. to aid in:
- Closing gaps between the teeth;
- Making sure the tips of the teeth are properly aligned;
- Straightening teeth that are crooked;
- Improving speech or eating;
- Improving the health of gums and teeth;
- Preventing excessive wear or trauma to the teeth;
- Treating an irregular bite.
People may require orthodontic treatment for different problems:
- Patients with protruding front teeth are more likely to injure them in sports, falling down, etc.
- If the patient's jaw is narrow, there may not be enough room for all the teeth and your orthodontist Columbia SC may have to remove one or more teeth to make room for the others.
- If the adult teeth are not in the right position they can become impacted.
- The upper and lower teeth don’t match when the mouth is closed.
- When the teeth are clenched, the upper ones come down over the lower ones too much causing on overbite.
What can you expect to pay for orthodontic services?
Costs for orthodontic work vary by orthodontist Columbia SC and region. There’s typically a range of prices from one neighborhood to the next, and differences in the way some practices are run. Keep in mind: More expensive doesn’t always mean better. Many orthodontists offer interest-free financing for clients with good credit. And most also offer financing through banks.
And remember: If you do have orthodontic insurance, it’s just like dental insurance - it’s designed to cover just a portion of the fee, not all of it.
If you’re interested in orthodontic care, call your orthodontist Columbia SC Dr. Gregory Wych today to schedule an appointment.