It’s summer and you know what that means! The kids are out of school and summer activities have begun! To kids, summer is a time to play outside, go swimming and experience all kinds of adventures. But even though it’s a carefree time of year, dentists Columbia Dr. Gregory Wych advises that it’s still important for them to take care of their teeth.
Accidents are bound to happen and taking precaution and fast action can make or break your summer fun if a dental emergency arises. Here are some simple ways you can keep your children’s teeth safe as they play from dawn to dusk this summer.
- Children who are very athletic may suffer from unusual tooth wear and should see their dentist on a regular basis.
- Custom fitted mouth guards are great for kids who take part in contact and non-contact sports such as little league baseball, soccer, football, basketball and even tennis.
- Seek emergency treatment from your dentist Columbia immediately if a tooth is knocked loose or falls out.
- If a tooth is knocked out, take caution not to touch the root. Replanting the tooth back into the socket is ideal, even if it’s only part way. If the tooth suffers from contamination, gently wash it with milk. Get to your dentist with the tooth in milk as soon as possible.
- Make sure your kids are not skipping their brushing and flossing routines. They may forget since they no longer have that school routine in place.
- Try to skip out on all of the sugary snacks this summer. Studies show that frequent snacking on sugary sweets can cause an increase of tooth decay. Sugars create an acid when mixed with plaque that eat at your children’s teeth.
- Help them drink enough water! By giving your child water, you can help them keep the cavities that sugar-laden drinks such as juice and soda can foster. You will also keep them hydrated for all their summer activities!
Summer is also typically a more relaxed time, when more cookies and candy can sneak into the diet. Feeding your kids healthier snacks will give them the energy they need and keep their teeth safe at the same time. Following are some great options for summer snacking compliments of your dentist Columbia:
- Fresh Fruit
- Raw Veggies
Limit these snacks:
- Dried Fruits
- Granola Bars
- Sticky Candy
- Potato Chips
- Fruit Rollups
We are committed to providing the best dental care for your children with our amazing team of qualified dental professionals who are dedicated to creating a positive experience for you and them. Why not call the office of dentist Columbia Dr. Gregory Wych today to schedule their first summer appointment?