Tuesday, April 22 is Earth Day 2014. Starting as an environmental movement designed to harness some of the energy of anti-war protesters, Earth Day put environmental issues on a global scale. Dentist Columbia SC Dr. Gregory Wych has some tips for supporting this very important movement.
1. Turn off the water when brushing. Did you know that if you leave the water running when brushing your teeth you’re wasting about 5 gallons of water? If you’re brushing twice a day, you’re wasting 10 gallons of drinking water in one day; 280 gallons over one month; 3,360 gallons over one year!
2. Recycle your mouthwash bottles and your toothbrushes. This Earth Day, try to remember to recycle your plastic mouthwash bottles. And when it’s time to replace your worn out toothbrush, your dentist Columbia SC suggests that you consider putting it to work in other ways such as:
- Scrubbing hard-to-reach places around sinks, faucets, stove tops and tile.
- Cleaning jewelry.
- Cleaning your computer keyboard, after you spray with canned air.
- Use it to clean out the dryer vent slot and the vent itself.
- Use to clean drains -- especially if you have a blockage close to the top.
- Great for bottle cleaning before you stick bottles in the dishwasher.
3. Consider using a compostable toothbrush. Using a compostable toothbrush shows that you care about the environment and about properly disposing of waste.
4. Unplug to save energy. Do you have an electric toothbrush? After the battery has fully re-charged, unplug the power source from the wall to save energy.
Conserving water, recycling, and limiting the amount of energy we use are simple ways to respect our planet and maintain a healthy smile at the same time.
Earth Day is designed to appreciate and celebrate the health of the earth. Keeping your mouth healthy is important too. Healthy teeth and gums contribute to your overall health and wellbeing, so remember to call your dentist Columbia SC today to schedule a checkup.