For many years, the only treatment options available for people with missing teeth were bridges and dentures. But today, dental implants are the latest technology that is a comfortable, long-term solution for missing teeth.
If you are missing one or more teeth, a dental implant may be the solution for you. Dental implants are an ideal option for people in good general oral health who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason.
Dental implants look, feel and function like natural teeth. This gives you the confidence to enjoy eating, speaking, laughing and smiling without having to worry about “slipping” dentures or partials. They can also help preserve your facial structure by preventing jaw bone deterioration caused by missing teeth.
Implants are essentially ‘replacement teeth’ that look and feel like your own. They look and feel so natural in your mouth that you may forget you ever lost a tooth. The implant tooth is set into the structure of your bone, just like a regular tooth. If properly cared for, dental implants can last a lifetime.
Unlike bridges, the quality of your adjacent teeth is not affected because neighbouring teeth are not required to support the implant. Your healthy teeth are not sacrificed; which is a significant advantage to your oral health.
Implants have advantages over dentures as well. Since dentures are not anchored and sit on top of the jawbone and gums, the jaw bone actually shrinks and dissolves. Jaw bone loss causes dentures to slip when talking or eating, and affects the overall skeletal structure of the face. Dental implants have been proven not only to stop bone loss, but they can also help restore the health of the jaw. It is as if dental implants “trick” the bone into thinking the tooth is still present. And of course, the messy denture pastes and glues are not required with implants.
Advantages To Dental Implants
- Improved Appearance. Implants look and feel like your own teeth and are permanent.
- Improved Speech. They allow you to speak without the worry that your teeth might slip.
- Improved Comfort. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier Eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved Self-Esteem. Implants can give you the smile you’ve always wanted and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved Oral Health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving your long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and with good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing your dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep your dentures in place.
If you or a family member would like more information about dental implants contact our office today.